Image source: http://pinterest.com/pin/572660908838005881/
Getting your daily exercise is important but it is also important to know how to properly stretch or warm up before your exercise. Most people begin their work out with static stretches, which are when you hold your stretch. This is actually not the proper way to warm up because these static stretches can decrease one’s power, strength, and performance. Here are some tips to help you stretch properly so that you get the most out of your work out!
- Always warm up first-A good way to do this is to walk or jog for five minutes because it can help increase your blood flow. This increase blood flow will warm up your muscles and prepare you for your workout.
- Do dynamic stretches-These stretches are slow movements like doing arm circles or hip rotations.
- Yoga-Yoga can help you combine flexibility and strength, breathe properly, reduce head, neck, and back pain, and put the body back in balance.
- After you work out do static stretches-Doing these stretches after your work out lengthens muscles and improves one’s flexibility. Make sure to hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Never Stretch to the point of pain- You do not want to be in pain doing dynamic stretches! Make sure you start slowly into the stretch and progress from there.
By using these tips one can improve their entire work out and get better results!
Article by: Kaitlin Adolf